Recommended prerequisites: None
This training provides a general background in how investigations and root cause analysis (RCA) are performed. It explains the importance of near miss reporting and investigation as a proactive tool to control risk before losses/harm occur. This course is for anyone who needs a general understanding of investigations, including reporting of near misses and how to interview.
Typical Course Candidates
- Operations and Maintenance Staff, process reliability, and process quality control/assurance staff who may be team members
- Managers who must ensure active participation on investigation and RCA processes
You Will Learn:
- How to meet regulatory requirements for incident investigations
- How and why to report near misses
- How to help a team gather data, especially interviewing of peers
- Overview of cause determination methods and overview of effective root cause determination methods
- How to develop appropriate recommendations to address root causes
- Comprehensive course notebook containing Root Cause Chart™
- Certificate of Completion and 0.7 CEUs & 0.7 COCs
Day 1 (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
- Basics of incidents and investigations
- Workshop: Identifying near misses (near hits)
- Gathering data
- Gathering data from people
- Workshop: Identifying key data needs
- Analyzing data for ALL causal factors
- Determining ALL root causes of each causal factor
- Workshop: Identifying root causes using the “Root Cause Chart” technique
- Developing conclusions and recommendations
Bill Bridges is a primary instructor for this course. He has trained over 3000 investigators during the past 17 years of teaching this topic. And he has led over 100 major investigations of chemical and industrial accidents. He co-authored the definitive textbook on this topic by AIChE, Guidelines for Investigation of Incidents in the Chemical Industry, 2nd edition, 2003. To find our more about this course or to check into having this course taught at your site, contact Mr. Bridges at 1.865.675.3458 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Revonda Tew is a primary instructor for this course. She has many years of PSM implementation experience, led many investigations and participated in many others, and she has considerable training experience. Feel free to contact Mrs. Tew at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course is only offered as a private offering at a client’s site. Please contact PII for details about having our training provided at your site.