Course 7: Management of Change & Pre-Startup Safety Review (2-Day)
This 2-day course explores proven strategies for implementing a workable MOC system and customized approaches to fit your company’s culture. It also shows how to implement physical and instrumentation changes through the proper use of pre-startup safety review (PSSR) systems.
$950.00 USD (per student) in USA
$1,495.00 USD (per student) in Dubai, UAE
This course can also be taught (either as-is or customized) at your site. Please contact PII for details about having our training provided at your site.
Recommended prerequisites: Participants should have practical, technical experience in design, operation, or maintenance of complex systems.
MOC is the element for which all other “foundation” elements of PSM are implemented. It is the PSM element that controls introduction of new risk. Recognizing change, analyzing the risk of each change, and handling small changes efficiently are just some of the barriers that managers face with MOC implementation. This 2-day course explores proven strategies for implementing a workable MOC system and customized approaches to fit your company’s culture. It also shows how to implement physical and instrumentation changes through the proper use of pre-startup safety review (PSSR) systems, sometimes called operational readiness reviews (ORRs). Written examples of programs for addressing simple and complex changes are included in the course notebook.
Typical Course Candidates
- Technical Managers and Supervisors
- HSE professionals
- Quality control managers and staff
- PSM coordinators
- Most other operation, maintenance, reliability, and quality staff who are involved with designing, implementing, tracking, and evaluating MOC programs
What You Will Learn
- Requirements of a complete MOC System
- What PSSR is and how it works and how it can be combined with MOC and mechanical integrity systems
- How to realistically control both small and large changes, minimizing employees’ needs to bypass the system
- Simple frameworks for identifying and analyzing risks associated with a recommended change to help ensure the minimum losses to your company (this is the heart of any MOC system)
- Training needs and requirements for all levels of your organization necessary to make managing change a functional system.
- How to integrate all company systems for managing specific functional changes into one MOC system to handle PSM, HSE, quality control, reliability, and productivity changes; and learn why this integration is so important
- Training tools for teaching your employees to recognize the difference between a replacement-in-kind and a change (take home copies included)
- Copies of real MOC and PSSR written programs, forms, and checklists of risk review & PSSR questions
- Electronic (PDF) copy of course notebook
- A Certificate of Completion
- 1.3 CEUs or 1.3 COCs
Day 1 (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
- Learning objectives and overview of PSM
- Overview of PSM
- Overview of MOC and PSSR
- Workshop: Identifying which MOC failures led to a catastrophe
- Recognizing or proposing changes
- Review of basic definitions of replacement-in-kind (RIK) and not-replacement-in-kind (NRIK)
- Workshop: RIK vs NRIK Quiz
- Workshop: Developing RIK and NRIK examples for your company
- Initiating the change request
- Who does what?
- Initiating the change request form
- Example of change request forms
- Reviewing the proposed change
- Technical reviews and Risk reviews
- Workshop: Choosing the appropriate risk review method for a minor mechanical change
- Workshop: Performing a risk review of a minor mechanical change
Day 2 (8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.)
- Reviewing the proposed change (continued)
- Workshop: Performing a risk review of a minor procedure change
- Approving and implementing the change
- Roles, responsibilities, and authorities
- Tracking the change request through closure
- Pre-Startup Safety Reviews
- Definitions and Style of PSSRs
- Combining PSSR with other PSM or Reliability systems
- Workshop: PSSR Quiz
- Workshop: Performing a PSSR for a minor mechanical change
- Overall Roles and Responsibilities
- Managing the MOC/PSSR program(s)
- MOC/PSSR scope decisions
- Review of typical MOC Program in notebook
- Review of typical PSSR Program in notebook
- Key Performance Indicators
- Workshop: Implementation planning
- Optional Exam
Bill Bridges is a primary instructor for this course. He has taught this course many times over the past 3 years. To find our more about this course or to check into having this course taught at your site; contact Mr. Bridges at 1.865.675.3458 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Revonda Tew is a primary instructor for this course. She has many years of PSM implementation experience, MOC implementation experience, and training experience. Feel free to contact Mrs. Tew at email@example.com.